Tuesday, March 6, 2007

{ Style Tips } New or Used?


Chris-
My boyfriend and I just moved into a loft in the city and have a question. We have beautiful brick walls and a concrete floor. I love your Urban Prairie style and would like to create that in our new place. Should we purchase a new sofa or a used one? What would work best in a loft like ours? Thanks for your help.
Holly B.


Holly~
Sounds like you've got a great Urban Prairie start already. I love exposed brick and concrete floors. But the question is new or used...There is something about furnishing a home with secondhand pieces. They just seem more lived-in. In a urban loft there are certain pieces that will best suit the hard edges of industrial chic. In a large space, long, low sofas work well. Look for flea markets or stores that offer a nice selection of new and secondhand furniture. Choose colors that best suits you. For a more modern look, consider neutrals. For a funkier presents, look for bolder colors or vintage fabrics. Urban Prairie style is about giving things a fresh twist. Follow your heart. If you love it you can't go wrong.

Chris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Chris for writig back and helping us. The photos were very inspiring. Again - I love your style. I'll send you photos when we finish.

Holly

Anonymous said...

I'm crazy about your style tips. I've started a scrap book to add them all to. Please keep them coming. I hope to be a interior designer someday. I don't want to be like everyone else and I'm learning alot from you.

Dawn Garders